working with Heath Educational Books
HELP, I’M IN CHARGE OF THE PRIMARY SCHOOL LIBRARY!
Venue: Heath Educational Books, Sutton, Surrey
Tuesday 2nd April 2019
Trainer – Susan Staniforth
Target audience: Primary school staff, governors and volunteers with responsibility for the school library
Have you recently taken over responsibility for looking after your school library but are not sure where to start? If so, this course is for you! An essential course for anyone new to running or managing a school library, delegates will –
- Gain an overview about all aspects of managing the school library
- Consider the role of the library in the school
- Learn about the processes and practical aspects of running a library
- Be provided with an opportunity to look at a range of resources
The course will be set in Heath Books’ extensive Showroom with over 60,000 books to view as part of the day.
The course will cover:
- Role of the school library
- Creating the library environment – physical location, furniture, layout, whether the library is used for any other purpose
- Library organisation and maintenance – all categories of books – picture, fiction and non-fiction, arrangement of fiction and non-fiction on shelves including an introduction to Dewey and other media, library stationery
- Library Management systems – introduction to range of systems available including their benefits
- Library Resources – who buys the books, range of resources needed including any for special needs, book suppliers, practical exercise selecting books, classroom collections as well as library books
- Introduction to library promotion
- Library budget and writing a library policy/development plan
Delegates will leave with the confidence to move the library forward and ensure it is used to maximum effect within their schools.
Registration and refreshments: 09.15 hrs
Course duration: 09.30 hrs – 15.30 hrs
Lunch and refreshments will be provided throughout the day. Delegates will have the opportunity to browse and buy books in Heaths 60,000 book Showroom throughout the day.
About Susan Staniforth
Susan has worked with school and public libraries for 38 years, and during that time has built up a considerable wealth of knowledge and experience. She is a Chartered Librarian with a BA (Hons) in Librarianship specialising in school and childrens services. Susan was Manager of the School Library Service in Gloucestershire for 11 years prior to becoming a school library consultant. During that time, she spent much of her time supporting schools with their libraries and running training courses to support the staff responsible for running the libraries. Susan has been a judge for the National Pupil Library Assistant of the Year award and for Booktrust’s School Library pack.
Telephone: 020 8644 7788
Course date: Tuesday 2nd April 2019
Closing date for booking: Monday 18th March 2019
Discount deadline: Tuesday 5th March 2019 *
Course Fees (VAT at Standard Rate applies to all course fees)
SLA Members and Heath Educational Books customers: £105.00 **
A second delegate from the same school (accompanying a full paying individual) –
SLA members and Heath Educational Books customers £70.00 / / Non-members £90.00
* A discount of £15.00 will be given on all the above prices for bookings received by Tuesday 5th March. (We understand that it is not always possible to submit a cheque with a booking form. For this reason payment is not required by the deadline date as long as an official order / booking form is submitted).
** Please apply via. Heath Educational Books or quote ‘Heaths’ in the ‘How I Heard about this Course’ section on the online booking form to qualify. Many thanks.
|FIVE EASY WAYS TO REGISTER
Complete and submit a booking form (available from the SLA office or www.sla.org.uk)
|Fax to: 01793 481182
Post to: School Library Association
1 Pine Court, Kembrey Park,
Swindon, Wiltshire, SN2 8AD
Telephone: 01793 401153
Your name / name of school
Invoicing address / telephone / e-mail address /
Details of the course and venue you wish to attend
Details of any special dietary or access requirements
Applications will be processed and places will be confirmed in writing
|Cancellations by delegates
Cancellations received up to 10 working days before the course date are refundable minus £15.00 administration charge. After that, cancellations are subject to 50% of the course fee. If you do not cancel or attend, the full fee will be charged. Please contact the SLA office if you wish to send a substitute delegate.
Cancellations by SLA
Unfortunately the SLA cannot accept responsibility for any incidental expenses incurred by delegates for courses which are cancelled due to lack of take-up or other unforeseen circumstances.